First impressions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First impressions...

After our last ESL experience the head admin who dealt with our case assured us their future tournaments would be more active and better managed, so when their flagship 'Season III Open' launched we signed up with an open mind.

Unfortunately, red flags went up immediately. The organizers provided little in the way of relevant details a team would need to prepare, such as anything regarding scheduling and format. Our first match was scheduled with a mere four hours notice and understandably our first opponent didn't show up. This was just a precursor for the remainder of the tournament however, as by its end OPP had bull dozed it's way into a perfect record largely due to half the league being completely inactive. Wasn't this tournament supposed to be better?

This wouldn't have been an issue because we assumed there would be a play-offs with the increased activity and competition you'd expect, yet as before there was a decided lack of information. Six weeks after our final regular season match there were still no website updates, no play-off bracket, and no communication whatsoever on behalf of the organizers. As far as we knew the tournament was done.

Regardless as the team captain I checked for updates several times a week just in case. Then one day I leave for vacation, and a week later come back to find that yes, there was a play-offs and we had been disqualified for a no-show. Woops. Here's the kicker: after a month and a half of complete silence the e-mail announcing the start of the play-offs was sent less than 24 hours ahead of our first match, on a weekend. Worst of all, their policy against rescheduling meant our disqualification stood even though the next rounds match was yet to be played.

I suppose it's our fault for not sitting on our hands for two months eagerly awaiting that one days notice on a weekend, but oddly enough we aren't a bunch of teenagers with nothing better to do than check our e-mail every hour and keep our crime fighting video game team on emergency standby.

Stay classy, ESL. And welcome back to our blacklist.

I had wondered what happened with that tourney. We went 6-0, I went inactive when I moved, then never heard anything else about it until now...

Comment

Seems like you need a paid league (ie. CEVO) to get decent administration these days. An entire season wrecked because of horrible planning and incompetence, no wonder teams are dropping ESL left and right.

Comment

way to not check your email.... aha jk

Comment

More from these idiots, I got ten of the same exact mail from them announcing that Season 4 signups have begun this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Dafyyd View Post
            More from these idiots, I got ten of the same exact mail from them announcing that Season 4 signups have begun this morning.
            My phone exploded

Comment

yea same. What a joke

Comment

Originally posted by Fats View Post
                yea same. What a joke
                do you have a secret smartphone after all?!?

Comment

I have a geocities e-mail address that I use my 25kpbs modem to check every day.

Comment

I use a free dial up program from kmart...its sweeeet

Comment

Working...
                    X