OPP Archeage Launch Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPP Archeage Launch Recap

OPP is on Kyrios playing as Western Continent races. On launch day we were able to secure numerous housing areas for farming, travel, and PvP purposes. We also crafted our first boats last weekend and have made a number of pirating and trade runs. It looks like we picked well on the server choice as the Eastern continent has already zerged up to try to offset our skill advantage. This launch has shaped up pretty much perfectly for OPP. So what's next...

As OPP members get their characters to Max level we're focusing on our team build and making sure everyone has high end crafted gear. This has been a challenge since queues to get into the game have been outrageous since Tuesday's FTP launch. Don't get me wrong, the launch has been a huge success with the game being released in a functional state with very little duping/hacking going on. However, queues of several thousand (6+ hr) has plagued our infrastructure and leveling progress.

The CEO of Trion responded to this today on the AA Forums. Part of his comments:

SERVER CAPACITIES AND YOU

In an ideal world, we have all the hardware we need to host the ideal number of servers, in a way that works best for everyone. We'd strike the perfect balance between launch popularity, when everyone wants to be online 100% of the time, and the settled population of more normal play patterns that will naturally come over time.

In reality, we have to plan capacity months ahead of time, based on things like web site signups, numbers of people who play in alphas and betas, how long they play, and so on. There's a fair amount of science that goes into it, and in general it's pretty accurate. We then include extra for overflow, just in case we need more.

In this case, so many entirely new people showed up that we opened not just all of our launch hardware on the first day, but the overflow hardware soon after as well. Since Head Start, we've expanded both the number of servers and the capacity of all servers steadily. We try to let you know this both on the forums and on Twitter (@ArcheAge) whenever this occurs.

Inside the business you'll hear people call this "problems of success," but make no mistake - since it negatively affects you, we remain obsessively focused on the "problem" part, not the "success" part. We treat these as high priority problems that we need to solve, as rapidly as possible.

GREAT, THANKS. THAT'S SUPER. WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW?

Right. There are things going on both in and out of game to make things better:
    1) Yes, more hardware is on its way to helping you! We're still aiming to strike the balance between short and long term and we know with certainty that more hardware is needed for both. We've heard both the "more servers" and "no more servers" crowds, and are certain we need to take steps toward more. I'm happy to share that the next round of hardware landed with our team in Texas this morning.

While I do wish that we could violate the laws of space and time to transport physical servers instantly, and help both NA and EU simultaneously, because of the way hardware is shipped out, and factors like "customs," there will be some delay between helping out the two regions. Do note that we're doing everything we can to make sure that delay is as minimal as possible. (We are aiming for days, not weeks, between.)
    Obviously he mixed some corporate fucktardery into his response but it was nice to see a response from the top. So according to him relief is on the way for US players.

I dont mind a queue that lasts 20-30 minutes because i know it'll die down and normalize (It always does). but these queues are monstrous right now. I hope that hardware comes into use over the weekend or atleast by monday.

Comment

I dont mind a queue that lasts 20-30 minutes
      I'm not going to bother trying to log in until then. If this continues much more than a day or two they have a moral obligation to compensate the players with something. People shouldn't pay by the month for a premium service to have a quarter of it or more eaten by their shitty infrastructure. If they don't I'll still play but they will never, ever see any money from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fats View Post
        If they don't I'll still play but they will never, ever see any money from me.
        Something tells me they wouldnt anyway you cheap ass

Comment

I figured someone would make that knuckle-headed comment but the fact is I've been playing the also free-to-play League of Legends for over 4 years now and have given them ~$100 over that span. If the game is good I will support it, but not if they fuck over their customers without compensation purely out of principle. This launch has been indefensible and if it continues much longer they better do something to make it right.

Comment

4th day of launch, it sucks yes.. but when does it usually not? There's no point in getting all angry about shit you should have expected, at least to some degree.

Do you really think this exist in a week? I don't. It'd be suicide.

Comment

We've added two new worlds to our North American server list: Ezi (NA) and Lucius (NA)! These servers were racked (physically installed) and imaged (updated with ArcheAge server software) in our Texas data center all in the past day.
              http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...ucius-%28NA%29

Comment

I'm not going to apologize for having higher standards. We'll see next week.

Comment

Its been just over a week since early access and queue times still suck up 4-5 hours at 1600 people. The servers had an issue right before i left to go do shit irl and I wasn't able to get back in to run in circles. Got back around 5pm and got tired of waiting in queue around 10pm.
                  It was Sunday sure but i agree with Fats. At this point it should be fixed. I'd expect a fubar launch of 3-5 days. When you start pushing past a week you're incompetent.

Comment

Working...
                  X