A Trip Down Memory Lane: Shadowbane Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Trip Down Memory Lane: Shadowbane Style

This Post on the Official Forums got me thinking about my favorite spy story. What good are spies you ask? I'll tell you a story (It will be kind of long):

In typical OPP fashion we had pissed off the entire population of the Dread Server in SB. After dozens of unsuccessful sieges on our City's the server had allied behind the goal of burning OPP's Capital city which had stood since server launch. We had won dozens of sieges using superior tactics but the odds were getting out of hand. Advanced reports expected over 500 enemy's to show up vs our 50. Additionally, our allies (TBW) had committed to bringing about 30. So we were looking at a laggy fight (which benefited the zerg) where we needed a 5+ to 1 kill ratio. In other words we were probably going to lose.

OPP had never lost an asset in any game and we sure as hell didn't want to start so we started thinking outside the box. We had been using our enemy's to help power level out alts due to their lax recruitment standards. The main guilds we were using where 99c (99 Cent) and TBI (The Blazing Inferno). We had a guild requirement that everyone have a teleport wizard for siegeing so most members had a Wizard in one of the two guilds. It turned out perfect because our enemy's were doing sign up sheets for their groups (group comp) and they were short on Wizards. So we signed up for all of their "group teleport wizard" slots. Their folks who would normally play this role agreed to play other classes since those slots were taken and we claimed that our wizards were our only characters (that was the only role we could fill).

Siege day came and we began spreading misinformation about pretty much everything in the guild chats of our enemy's to create confusion. The thing that seemed to stick was confusing people about time zones. Also, spamming leadership messages quickly out of the chat box was pretty funny. Leadership of our enemy's became frustrated but weren't smart enough to figure out that this was coordinated effort. Time to prep for the siege came and people were AFK or unprepared. This led to their siege group running late. We began doing hit and runs on their group as they traveled to our city picking off their healers and summon bots. They did not stop to resummon them because they were rushing to make the siege in time. They knew if they could get their main zerg to our city we couldn't push them out and they could hold the bane to summon their healers back.

Their plan was to summon their healers back and then rush our walls using their superior numbers with all those wizards to mass teleport 150+ people into our city. It was a good plan if it wasn't for the fact that all their teleporters were OPP spies. As they moved into position at the bane near our the walls our wizards started teleporting their groups 1 at a time into a trap we had built in the city...and we slaughtered all of their leaders and the rest of their healers as they loaded group by group into our trap. Listening to their leaders scream at people in their voice chat was one of the funniest things I've ever heard. The leader of TBI was literally crying. Killing the rest of their group turned out to be easier than we thought without their leaders and healers. We completely rolled them and burned the bane in short order.

The Cherry on top was a bane stone that we had dropped on TBI's capital city set to go off that same night. It was common practice to counter-bane when you get baned to try to split enemy groups. TBI expected to win the siege on OPP so they set their bane to go off a short period after the OPP siege started. They had left behind a few weak PvPers to take down the bane stone while the OPP siege "raged on". However, we had won the siege so quickly that our bane stone on TBI's city was still alive. OPP + TBW quickly rallied at TBI's city and successfully defended our bane while gating our groups in. Our enemy's were disorganized and frustrated from their earlier loss so they failed to rally and aid TBI with their capital city's defense. TBI's capital had over 1600 binds making it the largest city on the server...and their lack of organization led to the burning of the largest city on Dread that night.

After that night our enemy's who were hell bent on burning OPP off the server decided that it was better to focus their siege efforts elsewhere.

Camping TBI's Capital early in the day on Siege day
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4-29-03a.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	86137

Preparing to defend the OPP Capital

Name:	4-29-03b.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	86138

The aftermath of the fight at OPP. Each stick thing is a grave of an enemy.

Name:	4-29-03d.jpg
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	86139

TBI's Capital burned to the ground

Name:	6-7-03.jpg
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	86140
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jackal; 01-20-2016, 02:55 PM.

Ya it was fun being a spy until someone, I won't name who (I forgot who), yelled don't kill Darkon, after I teleported the group that had the GM of TBI into the city trap, whitch was promptly slaughtered. He didn't believe me feigning ignorance, Darkon who?

Comment

I miss SB sieges. I'm trying to find all my old screenshots, you guys should post em if you got em

Comment

Those first few weeks after TBI declared war on us and we responded by relentlessly raiding their island, absolutely crushing their morale, was one of the occasions I felt the most proud to wear the OPP tag. We slayed a giant with an almost professional resolve and some of the most accomplished PvPing we've ever been a part of. Man that was a blast. The fact their leaders and core members quit the server and moved to a different one where apparently they dominated the competition there only made the victory that much sweeter and that much bigger a notch on our belt.
        Last edited by Fats; 02-09-2015, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Gardak and I leveled so many of our chars using 99c. Made SuperAFK all the more viable.

Comment

Now its HeyitsAFK who has the title!

Comment

Sadly, I dont have a lot of vivid memories of Shadowbane, other than very general recollections of our history, and more specifically, dominating Dread.

I greatly appreciate this thread since it rekindles some of those lost memories. Shadowbane was a blast, and I dont believe we have had any paralleled or more pronounced victories and success than we did during Shadowbane, and UO. With AA, I strongly feel that we have a chance to do the same.

If you or anyone have any additional recollections, stories, and/or pictures please share them!!!
              Last edited by Orion; 02-10-2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Name:	4-12-03a.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	85632
                This was us grouping for our first siege ISB against HELL.

Comment

Bonus Pic, anyone remember this, oh what a fucked up game it was.
                  Attached Files

Comment

http://www.opponline.net/content.php...rd-Information

Last edited by Jackal; 02-10-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Vanguard had a lot of potential, it just fell short because the developers didn't give a flying fuck about PvP or the PvP server. I can't recall a single patch they made changes for PvP reasons.

Comment

Working...
                      X